AdBlock Plus releases an ad-blocking browser app for Android.
AdBlock has never been in the browser business beyond providing plugins to help you get rid of ads, but the company is breaking the mold with their latest app. They have released a beta version of AdBlock Browser for Android.
The premise and promise are simple: you browse the web, except you do so without any ads mucking up the experience. Early usage reports suggest it’s just as fast and capable at browsing the modern mobile web as Google Chrome and Firefox Mobile, so there shouldn’t be any qualms using it if you value it for its ability to block ads.
Follow the instructions below, OTHERWISE IT WON’T WORK!
Before you download Adblock Browser to your Android device, make sure app installation from unknown sources is allowed by Android:
1. Open Settings.
2. Tap Apps or Security.
The location of these options differ depending on your device.
3. Tap Unknown Sources.
4. Tap OK.
5. Download the .apk file.
6. Open your notifications and tap the completed download.
7. Tap Install.
8. Tap Open.
– We’re upgrading the basis of our fork to Firefox 44.0.2 from the previously used 40.0. That’s not the latest version, but it’s a necessary step to update to the latest version in one of the next updates (which will be coming much faster now that we have wrested back control of the code).
– Fixed: Find in page controls were barely visible (https://issues.adblockplus.org/ticket/3113)
– Fixed: Crash when selecting settings in some cases (https://issues.adblockplus.org/ticket/3820)
– Fixed: Issues where no filter list got selected in some cases (https://issues.adblockplus.org/ticket/3247, https://issues.adblockplus.org/ticket/4190)
– Fixed: Settings changes where sometimes not saved (https://issues.adblockplus.org/ticket/2853)
– Added the ability for disabling ad blocking globally (https://issues.adblockplus.org/ticket/3070)
– Some usability/text changes/fixes (https://issues.adblockplus.org/ticket/4760, https://issues.adblockplus.org/ticket/2942, https://issues.adblockplus.org/ticket/3199, https://issues.adblockplus.org/ticket/2512, https://issues.adblockplus.org/ticket/4889, https://issues.adblockplus.org/ticket/2513, https://issues.adblockplus.org/ticket/3220, https://issues.adblockplus.org/ticket/2606)
– We are now using ABP 2.7.3.
– While we will not officially support x86 devices yet, we have been including some support which will make this possible in the near future. We know this is something a lot of you have requested.